Bye Bye Binkie!!

b

We said goodbye to Peyton's binkies this last January!!!! It should have been done a while ago but it was a battle we just werent ready to fight. Especially after our scare with Peyton last summer and we didnt want to take away something that was so comforting to her. It wasnt until her tantrums started spiraling out of control for her binkie that we decided it was time. So we headed out to our local Toys R Us with a plan. We told Peyton she was a big girl now and didnt need her binkies anymore, they were for babies. We then promised that if she chose to give her binkies to the toy keeper at the store, she would get to pick a special toy. She was pretty excited about the idea of getting a new toy. As we walked into the toy store I saw her face light up. (it was her first time at Toys R Us) The first isle we came to was filled with child size cars and trucks. Of course she wanted one and proceeded to go down the row to sit into each vehicle to tryout all the gadgets. She really liked the john deer tractor and the convertable. It was pretty funny to watch. Then we headed over to the babies and dolls and on the other side was stuffed animals. I was showing her all the cute dolls while Trevor tried despirately to pursuade her into choosing a life size boa constrictor. She choose the snake. Bah! After she made her choice I pulled out her bag of chewed up binkies and went over the plan again. If she wanted the snake she would have to trade in her binks. Surprisingly she was ok with idea, I mean she LOVED this snake! As we headed up to the casiers I was a little nervous. We really had one shot at this and I figured if this was going to work, we would have to pick a really energetic, sweet casier that would be eager to play along. You know the ones that would praise Peyton for being a big girl now and what  a cool snake she picked out, yadda yadda yadda. So we chose the only girl that was available, I mean she certainly would be perfect right? She was awful. Trevor had gone  ahead of us to explain the situation so she'd be ready to make the trade and as Peyton and I came up he was still trying to get it through to her what we were doing. She just looked at us like we were speaking another language and said nothing. She looked like she was in a frozen state of confusion. I mean had this woman never heard of a binkie or was she scared of kids? This woman works at a toy store for crying out load. What the heck was wrong with this woman!! the indan man in the other isle would have been better than her. Lesson learned, dont judge. Peyton of course was oblivious through the whole conversation, She was gaga over her new pet. Frustrated and annoyed at this lady's stupidity, I grabbed the binkies, told her to take them and put them in the garbage (had Peyton watch), paid for the snake and we were out of there. I was so bumbed it wasnt a more positive experience but the plan worked and the binkies were gone. Peyton asked a few times where her binks were and when we turned the question back to her she would just say, "in the garbage". That was that! It is now March and we are still binkie free!

1 comment:

Mo and Chase said...

What a great idea Britteny, too bad the cashier was a dud. But hey, it worked! Yay! :)