Hike to McNeil Point







Labor Day weekend, Trevor and I decided to hike up to McNeil Point which is located on Mt. Hood. His brother said it was a beautiful hike and would be good for my 1st backpacking trip. Little did I know it would be 5 miles to the top, uphill the whole way (I'm not exaggerating) and I'd be caring 20lbs on my back. I thought I was going to die. I knew I would be caring weight and I have done long hikes before, but I didn't expect it to be as difficult as it was. My loving husband was more then patient with me as I struggled to make it up the steep inclines and in about 3 and half hours we made it to the top. The weather was a little foggy for the views, but we did get a couple breaks and could see as far as the Columbia River Gorge surrounded by hills, streams, and few patches of snow. We even caught a few glimpses of Mt. Hood's peak. The exhaustion was well worth it, and I was pretty excited to know that the whole way back would be down hill. We hiked back down about 2 miles to our camp. It was at the foot of a gorgeous bolder slide surrounded by trees and wild flowers. The clouds lifted enough for us to catch the sunset and I was so eager to crawl into my warm sleeping bag. We got into our tent to play a few hands of cards and then it started to rain, then hail, then snow. I was glad we were inside and prayed we wouldn't have to hike in the snow the next morning. We woke up to fog and a light rain which was just enough to cool us down as we quickly manuvered our way throught the trees and mud. I was so happy it was down hill and when we finally broke through the trees and saw our car I was more then excited. It was quite an event-filled trip for us and I can't wait to do it again.

3 comments:

The Looney Kids said...

So cute! I love blogs...I'll email you an invite to ours!

Kara

Jerai Moulton said...

What a beautiful hike! It's so fun to be able to keep connected (even if it is through the blog)! I do have to admit that I am very jealous that I am loosing Jade and Ashton and you are gaining them! That will be so much fun for you all!

Marion Acres said...

Wow, sounds like it was beautiful at the top, but what a hike! I think I would die on the first mile uphill. Sounds like you had a nice time though, it's always nice to take a break and just get away with your hubby. :)